This is a USB to Serial UART (TTL level) converter module. It is allow you to connect your computer through USB port and use it as a regular serial communication. All USB protocol is handled within the module. There is no other device or programming required.
This board features innovations that set it apart from other USB to Serial Converter boards. Innovations feature like 256 byte receive buffer and 128 byte transmit buffer utilize new buffer smoothing technology to allow for high data throughput. Also, 6MHz clock output signal options for driving external MCU or FPGA. The TX and RX pins from the USB-SER can be connected directly to RX and TX pins of your preferred microcontroller or serial application for a simple serial cable replacement connection.
The USB-SER board is perfect for embedded systems that require a serial connection to a computer. The board attaches directly to the USB bus via a standard type mini B receptacle connector. It shows up on any Windows computer as a standard serial COM port. Any applications that talk to this COM port is automatically convert to USB and back to UART to your target board.
Drivers are available for Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, Server 2003, XP, Vista/Longhorn, XP Embedded and CE.NET 4.2 & 5.0. Mac OS8/9, OS-X and Linux 2.4 and greater are supported.
This module designed to be easy to plug into a breadboard directly. It is self power by using power from USB port. You may use this voltage to power your project board up to 500mA.
All serial interface pins are 5V logic level
Transmit from the USB-SER board. It is a Serial Output and normally connected to the RX pin on any microcontroller or equivalent UART.
Receive into the USB-SER board. It is a Serial Input and normally connected to the TX pin on any microcontroller or equivalent UART.
is connected to USB 5V bus via filter ferrite bead. It can range from 4.0 – 5.0 V depending on the regulation of the given USB port. In USB 2.0 system, this pin can provide a maximum of 500mA in accordance with the USB 2.0 specification.WARNING! DO NOT APPLY EXTERNAL POWER TO THIS PIN. IT IS AN OUTPUT NOT INPUT PIN.
is connected to the internal regulator and can source a maximum of 50mA. You may use this pin to power your 3.3V circuit.
is a common ground for every pin. This pin must be connected to ground when using external power supply on the target board.
is a 6MHz clock output signal. You may use this pin to drive external MCU or FPGA.
• Small 1.25 x 1.00 inches board.
• Single board USB to asynchronous serial data transfer interface.
• 5V USB short circuit protection.
• Decoupling supply voltage.
• Design easy for breadboard.
• UART interface support for 7 or 8 data bits, 1 or 2 stop bits and odd/ even/ mark/ space/ no parity.
• Data transfer rates from 300 baud to 1 Mega baud.
• 256 byte receive buffer and 128 byte transmit buffer utilizing buffer smoothing technology to allow for high data throughput.
• Transmit and receive LEDs.
• 6MHz clock output signal for driving external MCU or FPGA.
• Support for USB suspend and resume.
• Integrated 3.3V level 50mA output.
• Low USB bandwidth consumption.
For more information please see: USB-SER User Manual